In the traditional classroom, found in the majority of schools in this area, there is a teacher leading some type of instruction or activity, and a group of students performing the task set forth by the teacher. In most classrooms students with special needs, such as a visual impairment, can have simple fixes for in class activities. For example, they can be sat in the front of the classroom. But, as a general education teacher, I feel unprepared for a student with any other special needs that may require more than the basic seating change. I have had students in the past which needed magnified copies of handouts. I’ve also recorded class notes in a word document for students who have difficulty writing or reading the computer screen.
Even with these technologies, if a student were to come into my room and be considered legally blind or deaf, I am not sure I would be prepared to accommodate that student. I have spoken with some of my colleagues about this topic in the past and they feel as if they are not properly equipped with materials and support to adequately provide our students with an education they deserve. I think there needs to be more educational materials and support in schools for students with sensory deprivation disabilities. Without these, the impairments in our education system are allowing these students to fall through the cracks.
No comments:
Post a Comment